Questions and answers


We are glad that you want to apply for one of our apartments! You apply for housing by registering in our housing queue. More information on: How do I apply for housing? and Conditions for housing.

Why do students at Chalmers receive two points per day?
We are a foundation with the aim of offering housing to students at Chalmers University of technology during their studies. Therefore, students at Chalmers receive two queuing points per day.

It takes usually 1,5 to 2 years until you are offered your first tenancy contract. When you have signed a tenancy contract, your queueing points will be set to zero, so please remember to reactive in our housing queue to start collecting points again.
Before moving in, there are several things to consider. Read more information regarding moving in via this link. We hope you will feel at home in your new apartment!
There is a difference between which apartment and the building you live in. In your rent, the housing, water, heating, and internet are usually included, and a mandatory fee to the Council of Trustee is added. This fee is currently 10 SEK per month. For more information on what is included in your rent, please read more under our tab Housing.

For some apartments, the electricity is included in the monthly rent. However, in other apartments, the electricity is measured on an individual basis and is charged based on the actual usage. Storage units are included in some apartments, however, not in all apartments. If a storage unit is not included, you can apply for one. Please read more about the possibility to rent a storage unit here.

Internet is included in your monthly rent, through our fiber-optic network. More information on broadband and tv.
Only the apartments reserved for international master students and guest researchers are furnished, the other apartments are not.
Our housing hosts are responsible for the maintenance of our buildings. If you wish to report a fault, you can do it through My pages.
There is a possibility to sublease your apartment if you are renting a standard, unfurnished apartment. Master apartments can only be subleased during June, July and August but if you have a short-term contract or a Research apartment you cannot sublease at all. This information is available in the back of your contract. 

If you have a standard unfurnished apartment, and you are going to study abroad etc. However, in order to sublease, we need to grant your application. More information regarding subleasing

Terminate your tenancy contract on My pages. If you have a masters contract or short-term contract the notice period is at least 7 calendar weeks and you need to send an email to since you cannot terminate it on My pages.

If you are moving to an apartment that is not owned by us, your notice period is at least 7 weeks. If you are changing to a new apartment with us and are renting a standard contract for an unfurnished apartment the notice period is at least four calendar weeks. You can move out every week and the moving day is usually on Tuesdays. More information on
terminating your tenancy contract and moving out.

At our webpage under the tab Living with us, you can find more information regarding the laundry room, internet, and ordering additional keys, etc. You are also welcomed to contact our customer service office, you can find our opening hours and contact information via this link.